The Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU) is located at one of downtown Vancouver’s most trendy district in Yaletown. Apart from several incredible cafes, restaurants and sporting venues, FDU is close to the Vancouver Public Library – one of the top 10 Public Libraries in the world! With its diverse, multicultural population and proximity to beaches and mountains, Vancouver is an exciting place to learn. The top 3 Master’s or Graduate programs at FDU are as follows:
- The Master of Administrative Science (MAS): This program uses both cognitive and interactive instructions in class through case studies, simulations, individual as well as group exercises. Apart from theory it also engages the students in fieldwork to develop critical managerial effectiveness. The program is tailored for students interested in joining government agencies, NGO’s, or private organizations. The program also enables students to find career paths in organizations like Hospitals, Computer & Software, Government & Administration, Tourism & Hospitality, Retail, Manufacturing, Export, and Self Employment.
Some program highlights:
- A 2 year, 30-credit program.
- Option to complete an accelerated MAS program as the Vancouver Campus offers 3 terms of study (Fall, Spring, Summer).
- The specializations include:
- computer security and forensic administration,
- emergency management administration,
- global health and human services administration,
- global leadership and administration,
- global technology administration,
- human resources administration.
- Master of Science in Applied Computer Science (MSACS): This program prepares students to become educated professional leaders in several areas of computer science. Software engineering, computer design, systems analysis and management of information systems are some of the many skills that the students will be adept at by the end of this course. This program is specifically designed to prepare students to access current opportunities in the rapidly changing field of computing. This degree also prepares students for taking up advanced graduate programs, including a PhD.
Some Program Highlights:
- FDU follows the Gildart Haase School of Computer Sciences and Engineering mission of preparing competent computer professionals and responsible global citizens.
- Students learn to evaluate current and emerging technologies; identify user needs; design user-friendly interfaces; apply, configure and manage these technologies; and assess their impacts on an individual user, an organization, the environment, and society.
- Students can choose between two specializations: database administration or advanced computer programming. Each specialization comprises four courses (12 credits).
- Students who desire to pursue further studies can select the thesis-based stream. A Master’s thesis comprises 6 to 12 credits, depending on the contents of the thesis and the recommendation of the thesis supervisor and the thesis committee.
Career paths after this program include but are not limited to programmers, applications engineers and developers, data scientists, systems analysts, software engineers and developers, project managers, educators, researchers, consultants, and database, systems, network, and cybersecurity administrators.
- Master of Hospitality Management Studies (MHMS): This degree is not just academically rigorous but also a flexible course designed for students who want to enter or advance their careers in various hospitality related fields. The program aims to build analytical, managerial and leadership competencies, entrepreneurs, educators and other professionals in the hospitality and tourism sector. FDU provides outstanding faculty with real-world experience and instructors who are actively professional in the hospitality industry.
Some program highlights:
- Students will study with others from over 60 countries worldwide and can grab the opportunity to participate in seminars in Switzerland, Italy and other countries.
- International students are eligible for off-campus work opportunities during their studies.
- International students can apply for a 3-year post-graduate work permit upon graduation from Vancouver Campus.
- Fairleigh Dickinson University Alumni can be found in the following world-class organizations:
- Wyndham Hotels and Resorts
- Marriott Hotels and Resorts
- Hilton Hotels and Resorts
- Hyatt Hotels and Resorts
- Starwood Hotels and Resorts
- Mandarin Oriental Hotels
- Trump National Golf Club
- Compass Group
The Vancouver campus of the FDU also offers a Pre-University Program to provide students advanced English-language training, if needed, prior to taking up a degree program. What are you waiting for? Click here to start your career in Canada. – By CISM Staff