What do you know about the DuoLingo test?
Duolingo test is the English Proficiency Test designed for international students to get admissions in various countries, and Canada is one of them. Similar to IELTS and TOEFL, Duolingo is accepted by Canadian education institutions. A further advantage of this English Proficiency Test is that you can write the test from home without the need to travel to the test centre in order to take the exam. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this is a privilege given to the international students that they can attend the exam from their homes.
Benefits of DuoLingo test and how it is different from other language tests
- You can take the test online using your own computer and webcam
- You can complete the test in 45 minutes and receive your scores in just 48 hours
- The cost of the test is just $49 where other proficiency test costs more than $200
- You can share the results of your tests with as many schools without absolutely no cost
What are the test requirements
- You need to have a government-issued ID
- You should be sitting in a quiet, well-lit room while taking the exam
- The test requires 45 minutes of your time
- You need to have a reliable internet connection
- Computer or a laptop with the compatible browser
- Your webcam should be front-facing
- Your microphones and speakers must be working
The technology of Duolingo! Why is it just 45 mins!
DuoLingo uses an adaptive test engine for test-takers. What do you mean by adaptive test engine? Adaptive tests are designed using algorithms to adjust the level of difficulty of the questions given to the students based on the responses provided by them. For instance, if the student chooses the wrong answer, the computer follows up with an easier answer; likewise, if the student answers correctly, the next question will be more difficult. This allows students to complete their exams in no time if they answer their questions correctly. Nowadays, computer-adaptive tests are considered as the leading edge of assessment technology as it measures the abilities of individual students more accurately. This test is designed to eliminate the conventional method of the “one-size-fits-all” nature of standardized tests. Most of the entrance exams for higher education (Master’s Degree) use the same technology – CAT, GMAT, GRE, JEE, NEET, etc.
The Duolingo test is adaptive, taking only 45 minutes to administer, far shorter than three to four hours on a traditional exam. The test ends when the grading engine reaches a confidence threshold in a test taker’s score.
Format of Duolingo Test
The DuoLingo Test consists of four sections- Reading, Speaking, Listening, and Writing, and takes about 45 minutes to complete. Duolingo allows students to retake the test twice a month. For evaluating a student’s performance, DuoLingo uses both human raters as well as its automatic scoring methods.
2021 List of Canadian Universities/Colleges that accepts Duolingo English Proficiency Test
- Acsenda School of Management
- Camosun College
- Capilano University
- Coquitlam College
- Fairleigh Dickinson University, Vancouver Campus
- George Brown College
- Humber Institute of Technology and Applied Learning Toronto
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Langara College
- Okanagan College
- Olds College
- Royal Roads University
- Ryerson University
- Saskatchewan Polytechnic
- Selkirk College
- Seneca College
- The King’s University
- Thompson Rivers University
- University Canada West
- University of Lethbridge
- University of Manitoba
- Vancouver Island University
- Yorkville University
Leave us a comment if you are looking for any further information regarding programs and admissions in Canada.